Murakami Berjalan Ke Kobe


Ini ialah kutipan catatan Haruki Murakami dalam majalah terbaru Granta (sila baca tulisan penuh di sini).

* * *

As I walked silently along for two days from Nishinomiya to Kobe, these ideas kept spinning around in my head. As I made my way through the earthquake’s shadow I kept asking myself: What was the sarin gas attack on the subway all about? At the same time, as I dragged along the shadow of the sarin gas attack, I wondered: What was the Hanshin Earthquake? To me, the two events weren’t separate and discrete; unravelling one might help unravel the other. This was simultaneously a physical and a psychological issue. In other words, the psychological is itself the physical. And I had to create my own sort of corridor connecting the two.

I could add an even more critical question to the mix, namely: What canIdo about it?

Sorry to say, I still haven’t found a clear, logical answer to these questions. I haven’t arrived at any definite destination. All I’m able to do at this point is, through my uncertain prose, serve up in an anticlimactic vessel the actual path my thoughts (and my gaze and legs) led me to. I hope you will understand this. Ultimately I’m the kind of person who can only make progress through moving my legs, moving my body, through a step-by-step, halting, physical process. It takes time. A miserably long amount of time. I just hope it won’t be too late.

* * *

Kalau masih ingat, saya ada tulis sebelum ini tentang Paul Auster yang berjalan untuk menulis (sila baca di sini). Tidak sangka Murakami pun sama, kerana saya selalu fikir yang dia ialah orang yang berlari untuk menulis, bukan berjalan. Mungkin kedua-duanya dia buat. Tidak salah kan? Kebetulan juga, ketika saya sedang membaca Murakami (setelah hampir lebih daripada setahun tidak menyentuh mana-mana bukunya), namanya sedang dipertimbangkan bagi Hadiah Nobel tahun ini. Sebelum Murakami, saya tidak rasa ada penulis yang lebih diraikan dan diharapkan akan mendapat hadiah keramat itu oleh pembaca di seluruh dunia. Murakami, ternyata, adalah fenomena yang luar biasa (lupakan sekejap mutu penulisannya). Tidak berlebihan untuk kita kata pengarang bertubuh rendah dari Jepun ini ialah seorang selebriti kesusasteraan: ia adalah status yang suatu masa dahulu pernah dimiliki oleh Charles Dickens.

Dan, kebetulan juga, kedua-dua selebriti ini adalah pejalan kaki di negara mereka.

Comments

Popular Posts